02 March, 2010

100 Day Celebration: I WAS THERE

Moses Mabhida Stadium during a thunderstom in Durban in February 2010. Pic: Sandile Ndlovu

It's a milestone! A milestone the world thought we would NEVER achive and I am so proud to tell the world I AM GOING TO BE THERE!

As part of the festivities, Independent Newspapers KZN had a huge anthem singing spectacle at 12h00 midday and most of the staff came out to sing the national anthem with so much gusto, I got goosebumps! Even though some people didnt know the national anthem (why were we dissing Ras Dumisani then???) there were many who knew it and it drowned out those who didn't know it. But that's beside the point.

I watched the Moses Mabhida Stadium grow from being just a plot of sand and cement into this magnificent basket shaped structure that has already won 7 awards!!! 7 awards and it's not even 6 months old??? Super!!!

I went to the Durban City Hall where they were launching the 100 days countdown and the mayor, Obed Mlaba, deputy; Logie Naidoo, Premiere Zweli Mkhize and Deputy President, Kgalema Motlanthe we there to celebrate and mark the occassion with the crowds of Durbanites who had come to celebrate this milestone!

A bit disappointing that Sepp Blatter didn't make an appearance, but that didn't deter the crowds as they had Zakumi there (I actually don't like the mascot *hides*) and so were the super fans! I spoke to SADDAM and KULPY and they were so ecstatic that they we are just 100 days away from the biggest showpiece the world has ever seen! I actually understood WHY they are called super fans. They live soccer! Kulpy- the Ajax Cape Town superfan, told me that his family would be watching the quarter and semi-final games; courtesy of CASTLE LAGER!!! I was so jealous, but I wouldn't want to give up my life for soccer. No thanx.

All in all it was a great day. I had fun and I saw why South Africa is a beautiful place and as I said on my Twitter, I am tired of South Africans, especially those who are well off, complain about South Africa! I am sick of all this negativity that they exude on us and it is rather sickening! So from now on, I'm all about positivity. Oh and to just stick it in even more, I'm going to watch Bafana Bafana play Namibia tomorrow at the STUNNING Moses Mabhida Stadium! Eat your heart out!

Picture: Sandile Ndlovu, Independent Newspapers

No comments: