27 March, 2008

I am an African



"I am an African"- This is the famous speech delivered at the South African National Assembly in 1996 by the great, symbolic and charismatic South African President, Mr Thabo Mbeki, who was Deputy President of the country at the time.

I believe this to be the speech that changed many African people's perceptions towards the beautiful continet of Africa. It brought a sense of identity and pride to many people. The speech shows how Thabo Mbeki is proud to be part of the African continent.

"I owe my being to the hills and the valleys, the mountains and the glades, the rivers, the deserts, the trees, the flowers, the seas and the ever-changing seasons that define the face of our native land".

This speech is motivational in the sense that it highlights what Africans are made of, our struggle history and our experiences. Yes indeed, I am also proud to be an African. It gives me great pleasure to be part of the African continent and a part of its great the people.

Justice Nyalunga
Future Journalist
Communication Science student, University of Zululand
South Africa

No comments: