26 March, 2013

Noko Pela

FJP 2013
Name: Noko Tshegofatso Pela
Age: 21
Born in: Dennilton, Limpopo
Studies at: University of Limpopo, Turfloop campus, Mankweng
Studying: BA Media Studies
Likes: “I like reading any literature that teaches me about life.”
Hates: “I hate dishonest and pretentious people.
Text and pic by Nompilo Mncube




Passionate journalism student, Noko Pela, 21, born and raised in Dennilton, near Groblersdal, started his journalistic studies at the University of Limpopo in 2012.

The last child with three sisters, Noko gained responsibility and independence from an early age. “I remember in Grade 7 my sisters taught me how to cook and clean because there was a possibility that I would move to a boarding school in Pretoria,” Pela said. His hardworking and tolerant ethic came from the experience of being surrounded by his sisters and mother.

From the day Pela entered university, he wanted to study for a career in journalism, studying Media Studies. He was intrigued by investigative journalism having watched television shows such as 3rd Degree  hosted by journalist Debora Patta.   

With strong political views, Pela plans to voice his opinion and deal with the realities of government corruption using investigative journalism as a portal for revolution in South Africa. “There is so much corruption amongst our leaders and our public officials and through investigative journalism I wish to somehow reduce the corruption in our country,” Pela said.

Having spent 14 months in university studying the media, Pela has enjoyed his first experience of his journalistic career.

“If our university had more practical work for us, I think I would have had a better experience of journalism, but [it] has been nice so far, I can’t complain,” said Pela.

1 comment:

Moses Moreroa said...

I am so proud to read about these aspiring journos. I believe and of the opinion that FJP is good enough in grooming such potential writers of tomorrow