25 March, 2013





FJP 2013

Name: Sarin Drew
Age     : 19 years
Born in: United States of America, California
Studies at: University of Cape Town
Studying: International Relations and Film Media
Likes: “I like reading and music”
Hates: “I hate bad people”



Text and pic:  Alfred Makhubela





Sarin Drew matriculated at Maris Stella High School in 2011.  She remembers high school fondly, especially the extracurricular activities. 

“Those days were interesting,” Drew said, “I was engaged in debates and public speaking competitions which have helped in sharpening my writing and speaking skills.”

Drew believes her passion lies in journalism and enjoys engaging in political and social issues. She decided to study journalism during her Matric year.

 Drew is from Durban but is a student at the University of Cape Town. She said her best moment was participating in World Championship for speech and debate, where she was in the world’s top 20.

Matric is a close second as she got five distinctions in 2011, despite being part of the mathematic stream in high school, she followed her passion into journalism.

 “My inspiration to do journalism came naturally,” she said, “I was doing it in high school. I enjoyed analysis of media. I am passionate about it.” 

Drew’s favourite High School teacher was Mrs Bolton who helped her to improve her English writing and speaking skills.

She has since won numerous awards including top a history mark and drama mark as well as being honoured for public speaking and debate.

No comments: