07 July, 2010

City of Saints keeping it real

by Poliswa Plaatjie
All packed and ready to leave East London heading to the city of saints, man was I excited because it was my first time coming down here.

I was sitting next to Asanda ; a 2nd year Communication student at the University Fort Hare in Alice and well she seemed very friendly we talked and yeah I was right she is such a fun bubbly person with a beautiful smile and she laughs a lot damn.

We arrived in Grahamstown and we were welcomed by this gorgeous young lady, Anele Ngwenya; a 3rd year Journalism student here at Rhodes then later got a chance to meet the other FJP delegates.

All the delegates seemed very confident in themselves and I like that and I was so proud of myself to be surrounded by these young enthusiastic future journalists.

The same night of our arrival we were gathered in one room, all the FJP delegates and we had to say what do we want to do in Journalism in the future and man was I nervous don’t know why though guess I was scared I might say something bad and they would laugh at me but it was okay in the end we all knew what we want.

I got to the my room at Res 2 and the worse occurred, my phone had no network so I had to move around in order to get a better reception but that didn’t matter because I spent most of my time attending the workshops.

The one informal function that stood out for me was the MTN braai which was held at the Great Hall, I had fun there; we watched the Uruguay and Netherlands match and Luks from Umhlobo Wenene was playing some nice African music for us.

I’ve learnt so much within the little time that I’ve spent here in Grahamstown, I want to go back to WSU and tell my fellow students that blogging is the future, because we hardly blogged; last year we created blogs but after that we didn’t bother to check them out because we didn’t see it’s significance but now I do.

I want to come back for sure and I've enjoyed my time here.

No comments: