12 July, 2014

A festival of happiness


 Wandiswa Ntengento

My experience at the National Arts Festival after an enriching week long stay in Grahamstown can be described as amazing and informative. My first show Abadala First, an eye opening play about the ill-treatment of the aged made me understand the role of theatre in politics and in bringing awareness about issues hidden under the carpet. I have never in my 20 something years of being alive came across such rich culture and passion in one city. As the days progressed I realised that all my life I had missed out on a life changing experience. Prior to the National Arts Festival I had never been so content and happy in my life.
A play called Protest directed by Paul Grootboom
I felt a deep connection with the arts and I felt at home. The second show I watched is called Protest a play based on service delivery protests in a small community in Mpumalanga. The show birthed an activist in me and left me begging for more.I will never forget the friendly people in the city and the relationships I built during my stay. However, the one thing I want to forget are the cold mornings and nights. I spent most my mornings fantasizing about hot summer days but nevertheless the mind blowing coffee became my sun in a cold winters day.I believe all of this would never have happened if I had not been part of the Future Journalist Programme.I feel enlightened and in touch with life because of my experience. 


No comments: