12 July, 2014

Mesmerized by the national arts festival



Nompumelelo Kubheka


I will go back home with a suitcase full of memories; an autographed poster of an idol, once-in-a-life- time opportunity learning experience and absolutely amazing new friends.
The first thing I notice when arriving at Grahamstown is a stack of colourful posters everywhere. The National arts festival must be pretty exciting I presume. Indeed my expectations were met.
Hanging a media tag on my neck and a camera bag on my shoulder made me feel like one of the best media gurus. Interviewing people, taking pictures and videos made me realise that my dreams are coming to a reality.
RhodesMusic Radio(RMR) taught me the difference between writing a newspaper story and writing  a radio script.
Attending a Lira concert was a cherry on top. It gave me an opportunity to meet her personally, tell her how much I adore her and having her sign my ticket.
I have a handmade bangle written my name on it and a bouquet of roses made out of wire for my mom. Both these accessories were made by talented artists at the festival.
The four day experience painted a clear image of a life of a journalist for me. Grahamstown is indeed a place to be between the end of June and the beginning of July.

No comments: