10 July, 2009

My Grahamstown







My Grahamstown

Jeffrey Shisinga

Wow! This is one of those memories of my life that will never fade away. Let’s see where should I start? First on my arrival day to Grahamstown, it was 07:55 Tuesday 30 June 2009, after a long travel by Greyhound bus. We were warmly welcomed by our co-ordinator Moagisi Lethlaku, who took us to Wimpy, where we had our breakfast. After that, we were shown our rooms at Chris Hani residence hall, and I must say the room service there was great.
By Wednesday all Fjp’s arrived. We went to Afri Media Matrix where we met our favourite trainer Sim Kyazze. I remember that day I and Lwando were standing outside AMM when Sim arrived with His green BMW. I could tell by His smile that he missed us. That very same day we were taken to the monument where we had an interview with the CEO of National Arts Festival Tony Lankester. I must say he is down to earth gentleman; he was talking to us like we are some professionals with journalism licences.
After an interview with Tony, we went back to AMM to meet Guy Burger who officially welcomed us. Grahamstown is surrounded by great people, just like Tony, Guy Burger talked to us about twitter and how to write a good review. He showed us some twitter messages, where he said some of them were not well written.
Starting from Thursday onward, it was tough, but exciting where we started to attend the festival shows, and write some reviews. Sorry I think I missed something before we attended the shows; we had a work shop where Adrienne Sichel briefed us on how a good review should be.
When I discovered my shock a bout Grahamstown was Wednesday the 8. Myself, Masebe, Lucky, and Bongani, went out looking for *Chisanyama* because we had enough of Steers and KFC so we wanted something else. Haaa! I could not believe it; we walked the whole of Grahamstown mainly the town at Rhodes, and there is no place where they are selling Chisanyama. We even went to the Taxi ranks. Normally those are the guys who eat Chisanyama.

*Braai meat.

Jeffrey Shisinga

No comments: