07 July, 2009

Why did you get tested for HIV?

The New Start HIV/AIDS counselling centre has come to Grahamstown during the National Arts Festival. Many have been tested but it is important to realise why they chose to do so.

Zoleka Mthetwa, a new mother, got herself tested because she worries about the blood transfusion received after giving birth. “It’s really important that people get tested so that they can understand their future and protect their partners too”, explained Xolisa Tukute, a receptionist at the counselling centre.



FJP reporters first spoke to a couple who had this to say:
“I want get tested because I’d like to know where I stand with my health and see how I can prolong my life.” Babalwa Sidinana

“I want to know my status so I don’t stay in the shadows.” Mzolisi Sidinana

The rest of the people also had something to say:


“I’d like to know so that I can use my status to promote HIV awareness to the community” Maya Genovesi. American student


Compiled by Selina Bebaako, Lwando Helesi, Anele Ngwenya. FJP reporters

No comments: